The Middlesex County Department of Housing and Community Development will award $7,500 in downpayment and closing
cost assistance to income eligible first time homebuyers under the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) American
Dream Downpayment Initiative (ADDI) program.
Basic Program Requirements
1. Applicants must be a first time homebuyers and have completed a one day homebuyer training course within
the past year offered by one of the following:
Puerto Rican Action Board - Housing Coalition
Unit – Phone (732) 249-9700
Faith Fellowship Community Development Corp.
– Phone (732) 727-9500
Any other HUD certified housing counseling agency
2. Applicants apply when they are under contract to purchase a single family property. Eligible properties are
detached homes, townhouses, condos, and co-ops. The purchase price of the property cannot exceed four times the certified
income level of the household, with an overall maximum of $334,400.
3. Applicants must have a mortgage pre-approval.
4. Applicant must purchase housing in the following Middlesex County municipalities:
Carteret Highland Park North Brunswick South Brunswick
Cranbury Jamesburg Old Bridge South Plainfield
Dunellen Metuchen Piscataway South River
East Brunswick Middlesex Plainsboro Spotswood
Edison Milltown Sayreville Woodbridge
Helmetta Monroe South Amboy
(Please note that New Brunswick and Perth Amboy are not eligible municipalities)
5. Household income does not exceed the following limits:
One-person - $56,100 Five-person - $86,500
Two-person - $64,100 Six-person - $92,900
Three-person - $72,100 Seven-person - $99,300
Four-person - $80,100 Eight-person - $105,700
6. The property being purchased must pass County’s Housing Quality Standards inspection and be certified
free of lead based paint hazards if built prior to 1978.
7. Applicant must be putting down at least 1% of the purchase price from their own funds.
8. Assistance will be in the form of a deferred repayment
mortgage, which doesn’t require payment of principal or interest by the homebuyers provided they own and live in the
property for six years.
Homebuyers who sell the property before this time will be required to pay back the full amount of the ADDI assistance,
plus 4% simple interest.